Our New School Is Coming!
First published on 21st April 2017 in issue 128 of the Federation Newsletter. Newsletters are sent to subscribers and ALL parents/carers of students at The White Hills Park Federation Trust, for whom we hold a valid email address. They also published on the Alderman White School, The Bramcote School and Bramcote College websites for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of issue. Archive copies of The Federation Newsletter are available on request.
On Wednesday evening we hosted a consultation event to showcase the designs for the new school building which will house students from The Bramcote School and Bramcote College. It was an extremely positive and popular event and there was a great deal of enthusiasm from the many people who attended. The plans on show were the detailed plans for the new school and college, and the outline plans for the housing development on Coventry Lane, which is the ‘enabling’ development that will fund the new building. We have now posted the plans on the Federation’s website (goo.gl/qcw84e), and I would encourage parents and students to have a look for yourselves.
I think that CAD Associates, the architects who have designed the school, have been very successful in meeting our requirements. The school will be very attractive, designed to fit into the landscape unobtrusively, reflecting the parkland and woodland around it. The design has incorporated all the elements we have prioritised:
- The building is well-equipped to deliver the curriculum, with ample classrooms and seminar rooms, as well as specialist rooms for subjects such as Science, Technology, Music and Art;
- There will be excellent PE and sport facilities, with a large sports hall, an activity studio for dance and exercise and outdoor pitches, both grassed and hard surfaces;
- There will be a separate 6th Form, comprising the whole of the top floor of the building, with a separate entrance, and separate social and study areas;
- We will have a large library at the heart of the school;
- The building is explicitly designed to be used by the local community outside the school day – we want our school to sit at the heart of our community;
- It will represent a major environmental benefit compared to the current buildings, and we have incorporated elements to encourage students to walk and cycle to school;
- Our large hall is designed to operate as a theatre space, both for our own school productions and events, and also for arts organisations in the local community.
Our target date for entering the new school is September 2019, and we are on track to meet this. In the next few weeks, I will give more details about the transitional arrangements, including the 6th form provision for the coming year. We are also pushing ahead with plans to secure funding for improvements to Alderman White School – as you may know, we have recently replaced extensive areas of roofing, and our next priority is to replace the English / humanities block. These are very exciting times for our Federation and I look forward to welcoming our first cohort of students into the new buildings.